Alesis original blackface ADAT inputs on 1/3/5/7 and 2/4/6/8

1 reply [Last post]

Hi, I've got an alesis blackface ADAT machine, its got 1041 hours on it, it seems to have the latest chip inside it v4.03.

Everytime I put a signal into the unit monitoring incoming signal, certain channels seem to start coming up. For example put something in on channel 2 its monitoring on 2, 4, 6 and 8. Ch 1 does it to 1, 3, 5 and 7? Is this normal or is there something amiss here? I think when I put signal into the higher channels like 8 it doesn't seem to spread to the lower ones. What's happening or am I being dumb. lol.

Also, what is the internal battery for?, to save the set locate positions?, how often does this need changing, etc

Many Thanks.

Hi, that is a by-design function, not a bug. First, note that this only happens with the unbalanced jacks, not the balanced I/O on the multipin Elco connector.

For the whole scoop, check out the manual in section 2.2C (page 15 in my copy):

Quote:2.2C Special Unbalanced Input Jack Wiring

ADAT has a switched-jack wiring scheme that makes it possible to use an ADAT even with a 2-output mixer. Jacks 1, 3, 5, and 7 are normalled together, as are jacks 2, 4, 6, and 8. Anything plugged into input 1 also feeds inputs 3, 5, and 7; anything plugged into input 2 feeds inputs 4, 6, and 8. However, plugging into any input interrupts the normalization, letting you use that jack by itself. Example: With plugs inserted into inputs 1 and 5, the signal at input 1 also appears at inputs 3 and 7. Input 5’s signal appears only at input 5. This means that the buss outputs of a two buss board could be plugged into inputs 1 and 2 and routed to track pairs 1-2, 3-4, and 5-6 on multiple passes without repatching cables by engaging the record enable switches for the desired tracks. (On the first pass, enable record on tracks 1-2, on the second, 3-4, and so on). The same applies for a four buss board. The first pass could be routed to tracks 1-4, and the second to tracks 5-8. Using this technique will allow you to selectively route signal to ADAT tracks using only ADAT's record enable buttons and your mixing board's buss assigns. Note that the unbalanced inputs and balanced inputs can be used simultaneously, but the jack normalling feature is available only on the unbalanced 1/4" phone jack inputs.

So the solution would be to have the other channels' input connectors connected to a source with no signal.

Hope that solves it for you!

n/a
Share this