MOTU 896HD Bandwidth issues

4 replies [Last post]

Dear All,
first let me introduce you to my setup. I have the MOTU 896 HD coupled (via 6pin -to- 4pin firewire cable) to my HP Pavillion Laptop.
The Laptop is powered by an AMD 64 3200+ Processor and has 512 MB of RAM. It has nothing special (save the motu) in terms of audio plugins or extensions, just the original (and I think integrated) SoundMax equipment.
Now if I read the motu Documentation correctly, I'm supposed to be able to record up to 3 tracks (simul) in 192kbps and up to 10 in 96kbps. But in application if I record any more than 1 track in any sample rate (even 44.1) I sometimes get blips in the feed, and upon playback of 2 or more tracks often the output will entirely stop for 3 or 4 seconds. It feels like there probably a processing bottleneck somewhere in the system, but I'm not sure where it would be.
If anyone else has had this problem, or if you can think of something I should try, please reply. Thanks!
--Lucas

Do you know the speed of your hard drive? It's best to record to a dedicated hard drive (not your boot drive) of at least 7200rpm. 5400rpm can work, but I've had better luck with faster drives. If your boot drive is pretty full, it might be fragmented as well.

What software are you using?

Even so, you're only recording a few tracks. If you have trouble with just two tracks at 44.1, something else is gumming things up. hmmm...

n/a

Silentway:
The H.D. could be an issue, it's a laptop so I bet it's a 5400 rpm drive and it most deffinitly is my boot drive, but why would that effect playback so much? Mesch.
I'm using cool edit pro 2. So here the really wierd thing: It gets wierd even with just a couple of tracks sometimes, but I recorded 6 tracks with good simul playback this afternoon and they worked just fine until the 7th....and that was at 192...Arg...the HD thing makes a lot of sense...maybe I'll go buy a firewire 7200 external.

I did a little research on my laptop's HD and the thing is miserable. 4200 rpm...I didn't even know those were still around. 4200 rpm harddrive which is 77% full and partially fragmented (even after defrag)...grrr, the only question now is...will an external firewire HD do any better? Won't there be a lot of added latency due to the external-ness of the drive?

That could be it. An external FireWire drive will be much better. Also, because it is a dedicated drive, it would be safer if there is an OS crash, more easily backed up etc. Plus, you'll free up space on your boot drive, which will thus run better. (Defrag it anyway!)

I got the Maxtor One-Touch and I like it because it is whisper-quiet:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000AZW8M/silentway-20

...although I now see that they have come out with the One Touch II, hmmmm...:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0004HPY28/silentway-20

As for "latency", that term is not usually applied to hard drive access speed. Latency isn't really the issue here. Latency has more to do with the time it takes to convert audio to/from analog/digital. I wrote a long article on latency once, and it's here:
http://www.silentway.com/node/1122

Hope That Helps!!

n/a
Share this