Sony PCM 800 and RMD800

2 replies [Last post]

Hi there everyone,
This is my first time on the site, but it looks like there is a lot of knowledgeable people here.

I am about to use the above system next week; and have the manuals for DA88 and RC848. Will i be able to use the sony stuff after reading these manuals or is the operation of the Sony equipment significantly different?

If so does anyone have the manuals for PCM800 and/ or RMD800; would it be possible for me to download them; or do you know where i can get them from?

Thanks for any help in advance
Pivo

The PCM-800 is indeed a DA-88 with a few minor differences. If you have the manuals for the 88 and the RC848 you should be fine. (For those that don't, downloads are below.) I'll cut-and-paste a bit from my Definitive Guide to the DTRS Modular Digital Multitrack Recorder:

Quote:Sony's compatible deck is the PCM-800. It is a clone of the DA-88 with a few differences, and uses exactly the same internal mechanism. It adds balanced XLR input and output jacks, built-in AES/EBU digital I/O on a DB-25 fanout, and the SY-88 timecode card is standard. Cosmetically, the "play" and "stop" buttons are reversed, and the on/off switch is different. The PCM-800 does not work with TDIF-based bit-splitters, because it lacks a TDIF jack.

Also note that the AES 25-pin dsub uses a different fanout than all the other Tascam 25-pin dsub jacks, since it carries 8 channels in AND out.

You can download the DA-88 manual here. For the SY-88's timecode card, get the manual here and the v4 update here.

The RMD-800 remote is a clone of the Tascam RC-848. You can download the RC-848 manual here.

Pretty cool that these decks are still in action 10+ years later. They don't make 'em like they used to. Then again, before these decks, most would last 30 or 40 years...

Also see these related threads on the PCM-800 and RMD-800:
http://www.silentway.com/node/1217
http://www.silentway.com/node/1123

n/a

Thanks for your help :D

Share this